Zennie62 On YouTube

DE Gaines Adams Invited to Attend the 2007 NFL Draft

Okay look ... I know that Gaines Adams is topping charts in a lot of mock drafts. I know he's been lauded as the pass rushing pinnacle of this year's draft. But when the NFL is only going to to invite just five prospects to this year's NFL Draft, shouldn't they at least pick some one who is worthy of the hype?

I'm not trying to be negative. Gaines Adams had one hell of a season. It's the reason his draft stock improved. His showing at the NFL combine was good too. In my book, Adams is another Mario Williams.

In every way.

Gaines Adams did not stand out in college until part of the way through his senior season. His meteoric rise in draft stock is largely a result of his good combine showing and his ONE good year. Sound familiar? Sounds an awful lot like last season's first overall pick who compiled all of four tackles. Adams is undersized and often has problems shedding blockers. To make matters worse, Adams tends to try to bull through blockers using upper body strength - a place where he will certainly not have the advantage in the NFL.


I'm not down on Gaines Adams. I don't think he will necessarily be as moribund his first season as Mario Williams was. But I just don't think he's of such high caliber that other players should be passed up on to invite him. Granted, Joe Thomas did not want to show up. That is a whole 'nother can of worms. But what about a sure-fire first-round talent like LSU safety LaRon Landry?

I like Gaines Adams. In a defense like Tampa Bay's or as a compliment to Dwight Freeny who is actually also in Tampa Bay's defense for all intents and purposes. But I don't see the Bucs taking him that high, and I don't think the NFL invited him hoping to watch him free-fall to the bottom of the first round. Besides, in my opinion, the Colts would prefer to see Miami LB Jon Beason on the board to replace the departed star Cato June on the weak side than to take Gaines Adams.

I don't hate Adams. I don't think he's a bad player. But I wouldn't be shocked if we had another drama like the Aaron Rodgers free-fall on our hands come draft day.

0 comments:

 

ShareThis

 
Google Analytics Alternative